INTERLIGHTER HEADQUARTERS RECONSTRUCTION
The reconstruction represented another stage in the eventful life of the building erected in 1912 where we had the opportunity to create a design plan for the entire building. Besides placing the necessary mechanical equipment to fulfil the requirements of a modern office building, creating specific comfort features was also part of the task. In the framework of the renovation the existing roof terrace toward the Danube was converted into indoor space giving a new look towards the bank of the Danube. We also recomposed most inner spaces after tidying up the spatial layout of the building that had been renovated countless times along the 100-year period with a youthful momentum. There were examples of rebuilding an entire floor 1 meter higher. All these interactions required significant structural intervention. All these changes required significant structural intervention. During the actual construction we faced endless surprises and peculiarities. For example, a wall which seemed to be a 110 cm wide brick wall turned out to be a steel pillar row in between two 25 cm walls, which required to restructure the plans. The restoration and rebuilding of the interior claddings and doors and windows and the richly carved gilded ceilings required great responsibility and diligence. It was a pleasure to co-work with the excellent polish restaurateur on these details. This way the spaces reflecting the atmosphere of the early twentieth century were brought back to their original glory. Also, the room -among others- from where according to the legend, during the Second World War the Germans deported Horthy’s younger son wrapped up in a rug as a hostage. It was also here later on where the Soviet Danube Shipping representatives occupying the building as an indemnity welcomed so many comrades during the II. World war.